Things to consider before you book your courier collection include the size and weight of the item and the quality of the packaging material.
We’ve put together some top tips to help you make sure your parcels are packaged well:
- Packaging materials Be sure to use good quality packaging or boxes to make sure it can withstand the journey. If you are reusing packaging, check it’s fit for purpose and be sure to remove any old labels including hazardous materials information. Use strong, good quality tape to avoid the parcel coming undone during transit.
- Use the right size box If the box is too big there is a risk the contents could get damaged and an under filled box could collapse. If you overfill a smaller box there is a chance it could burst.
- Liquids If you are sending liquids, greasy or strong smelling items you need to make sure the containers are leakproof and sealed properly. The containers should then be wrapped in plastic bags and placed upright in a strong box and labelled carefully with ‘right way up’ arrows.
- Fragile Items These need to be put in the centre of the box and well cushioned on all sides- use bubble wrap, foam chips, scrunched up newspaper etc. Be sure to label the box as fragile and include ‘arrow up’ information.
- Electronics and Data When sending devices and data storage media we recommend wrapping each item individually in bubble wrap or similar.
- Important Documents Sending paperwork should be the simplest thing to package but if you need the documents to remain intact and unfolded you need to make sure you get the right sized envelope and that it has a rigid piece of card inside to keep it flat. If you are sending large papers that need to be rolled you should look for a triangular tube as opposed to a round tube to prevent accidental squashing during transit.
- Recipient address Make sure you label the package with the correct address, if you write the address on by hand you should make sure it is clear and written in capital letters. We also recommend including a card inside the package with both the recipient and sender address written on it- just in case the address label comes off.
Be sure to have a read through our terms and conditions before you package your items. Check out our quick guide and packing tips if you need more help. If your items aren’t on the list, be sure to call us on 01733 231111 for additional support and packing advice.